6.21.2008

Edward Scissorhands




Links:
The Courier-Mail
Musical Tour of Australia
Info about the 1990 movie

The characters and the visual landscape are also a gift for both myself and our designer Lez Brotherston. We have the creepy mansion, the graveyard, snow storms, the colourful suburbia of Hope Springs and of course Edward’s topiary and ice sculpture creations. The costumes too are incredible - from Edward’s ‘scissorhands’ to the sculpted bouffant hairdos of the female townsfolk. We’ll also be packing in a few surprises and I firmly believe that I have assembled some of the finest actor/dancers in the country to realise this unique piece.

Tim Burton, Danny Elfman and screenwriter Caroline Thompson have been fantastically generous in allowing us to take this highly personal creation and make it our own. It’s a creative partnership that promises to deliver a magical and unforgettable night out.” - Matthew Bourne.


Check out the video clips online

Those of you who were lucky to see the musical are welcome to post a response.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello!
i am truly speechless...
everything I have ever loved from that movie was standing right in front of me. the dancing was incredible and the actors were amazing! there wasnt any speaking but they didnt need to! body language and facial expressions was all that was needed to tell the story.
the sets were fantastic!.
I loved every minute and would spend my life savings just to go and see it again...
so very sad its over.



p.s I now understand what Mr Shorter was saying about " the bean-bag part HAHA!"

Anonymous said...

It was fantastic. I loved the way they used semi-opaque screens to create different performance levels and spaces on the stage. And it worked beautifully too for creating rain and snow.

I taught the film for many years to grade eight as part of an English unit, so I kind of know the story backwards. It was amazing to see it from a different perspective. It was the same story, but essentially quite different at the same time. English teacher comment emerging....... I particularly loved the way that they developed a "gap" in the original story, providing a motivation/need for the inventor to create Edward. It added a certain depth and poignancy to Edward's isolation.

And yes, I thought you'd like the way the beanbag just falls in - so cartoonish! Especially amusing considering what happens around it!